News from the Nest….
- The READ-A-THON is COMING!!!!
- Spring Break Packets – Students who completed their Spring Break math and reading minutes got extra recess this week! They also got a Bradley Bookmark and seed packet!!
- 2 NEW water fountain/drink stations were installed over break! We are SO thankful to the PTO and families for the new fountains!\
- 2nd Grade’s field trip to the Urban Farm was a windy, fun time!
- All 3rd-5th graders taking the CMAS assessments have completed their English Language Arts tests!!! WOO HOO! Next week, 5th graders will take the CMAS Science test on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Happy Opening Weekend for Baseball! GO ROCKIES!!!
- Yearbook: It’s not too early to order a yearbook! Order today – deadline is April 25, 2022. Go to www.treering.com/validate. Enter our school’s passcode: 1015403147971338. Create your very own 2 page layout! See image of cover!
- On Tuesday, April 12th, 5 Bradley students will compete at the Ball Arena in the 2022 NBA MATH HOOPS REGIONAL TOURNAMENT. Bradley holds 3 regional titles and has participated in 2 LIVE National Tournaments, and 1 virtual. We will also compete in this year’s Live National Tournament in Philadelphia this coming June.
- Bradley Calendar 2022-23: Please find the DPS school calendar for next year. We will have the 2022-23 Bradley school calendar which will include First Friday’s available by the end of April. DPS 2022-23 Calendar
- DPS Transportation 2022-23: DPS Transportation is working on scheduling and bus needs for the 2022-23 school year. If your student currently qualifies for DPS transportation and you would like to continue to have your student ride the bus for the 2022-23 school year, please log into your DPS Parent Portal account to opt into or out of bus service for 2022-23. Please do this before June 30, 2022. We know situations change over the summer. DPS transportation will be sending additional information over the summer.
- Chopper Topper DPS Dental Sealant Program: The DPS Chopper Topper Dental Sealant program begins on Monday, April 11th for grades 1st through 4th. This is an Opt0-In program. If you signed up for the sealant program, your student will receive services next week.
- Bradley Summer Camp: Need a fun summer camp for your student(s)? We are planning our Bradley Summer Camp for the month of June (June 6th – July 1st)! All camps are run by Bradley teachers and paras AND it’s at Bradley – what could be better! Registration is available online on the Bradley website (see attached flier)! Sign up soon, space is limited!
- DPS Summer Connections 2022 (formerly Summer Academy): Summer Connections is a FREE full day, 6 week program available in all DPS regions for ALL rising 1st-5th grade students that combines literacy, math, and science. Students will engage in hands-on enrichment experiences in STEM, Art and Spark Career Exploration. Students may receive individual or small group tutoring. See Summer Connections Information. Enrollment is on a first come, first serve basis and registration has been extended to April 29th!
Weekly Coping with Stress for Students
- DEEP BREATHING: We always start talking with kids about taking deep breaths. Why? Let’s talk a little bit about some automatic systems in the human body. When kids (or adults for that matter) are calm, their bodies are in “rest and digest” mode. Their breathing is normal, their muscles are relaxed, and their heart rate is average. It’s how they would be when they’re watching a show and relaxing. When kids experience a stressful event (like an unexpected dinosaur in the living room), their body automatically goes into what is known as “flight, fight or freeze” mode. Their heart rate increases, their stomach stops digestion, and their breathing becomes more shallow. Taking deep breaths can help them get from “flight, fight or freeze” mode back to “rest and digest” mode. Deep breathing helps get more oxygen into the bloodstream and opens up the capillaries. It has a physical effect on their body to help them calm down and lower stress. There are SO MANY ways to help kids learn how to take a deep breath. If you need some inspiration, check out the resource page all about teaching children how to deep breathe in fun and playful ways. (Information from: https://copingskillsforkids.com/how-to-deal-with-stress)
- Back by popular demand: Tuesday April 12 ALL DAY – Dines Out at Birdcall at 4996 E. Hampden Ave., Denver (Cherry Hills Village Location Only). Order in person or online (www.eatbirdcall.com) using the code “bradley2” (case sensitive). If ordering online, enter “bradley2” in the discount code field and click “apply code.” The event runs all day (10AM-10PM) and 35% comes back to Bradley! Please note, third party delivery apps do NOT apply (Grubhub, Doordash, UberEats, etc.). See attached flier.
- Read-A-Thon Starts Monday April 11! Sign-up now with the code sent home in your student’s Friday Folder. This is a great way to encourage reading and benefit our school and classrooms! You can begin making donations today and start logging reading minutes on Monday! The Read-a-Thon runs from April 11- April 22 and there are great prizes available for participation (both reading and fundraising). For more information, including instructions and prizes, please see your student’s Friday Folder. Get the code and sign up here: https://www.read-a-thon.com/readers/
- Get Your Purple Friday Spiritwear! The Bradley SPIRITWEAR Online Store is LIVE: You can view and purchase Spiritwear online! The site will be available for orders through April 15. Your orders will be shipped to the PTO and we will host an after-school order pick-up (date(s) TBD). We estimate that orders will be delivered in early May. Be sure to check out the “Space Logo” option when ordering any t-shirt on the site. Order here: https://bradleypto.orderpromos.com/
- PTO April Meeting IN PERSON: Join the PTO at our next meeting on Thursday, April 14 at 3:30 – we will meet in person right after school in the library. Childcare provided.
- Water Filling Station Update: Two new water filling stations have been installed at Bradley! Thank you to our Bradley families for helping us fundraise to get these great upgrades made for our students!
- Infinity Park Summer Events: There is a lot going on at Glendale’s Infinity Park this summer! Not only is there Rugby matches but also the Summer Movies are BACK! And who can forget the amazing 4th of July firework display! See all the movies, Rugby dates and more at Infinity Park
- University Hills Easter Egg Hunt: Join the University Hills Neighborhood Association for their annual Egg Hunt at the Bradley playground area on April 9th starting at 10:00am. Find more information for UHNA: https://www.uhna.com/ and find other Easter events in Denver at: Denver kids Out and About
- DU Men’s Basketball Summer Camps: We have important news! Summer is almost here, and DU Men’s Basketball Camps are BACK. The attached flyer highlights the details of our Youth Day Camps. Registration links are NOW OPEN! To register, visit our website: denvermensbasketballcamps.com. We are offering two different sessions for Youth Day Camps (Boys and Girls, K-6th Grade) : Youth Day Camp I (06/27/22 – 06/30/22) Youth Day Camp II (08/01/22- 08/04/22) . We plan on making camp an unforgettable experience for everyone, and we hope you join us! Please reach out via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call/text (602) 370-6470 for any questions.
Important Dates to Remember
April 11 – PTO Read-a-Thon BEGINS
April 11 – 14 – DPS Dental Screening
April 12 – Bradley Dines Out – Birdcall
April 12 – Round 2 SchoolChoice OPENS
April 14 – PTO General Meeting (in person in the Library 3:30pm)
April 15 – D.E.A.R. Day (Drop Everything And Read Day)
April 22 – PTO Read-a-Thon ENDS
April 22 – Earth Day
April 25 – Yearbook Orders DUE
April 26 & 27 – Lost & Found Tables in Front of School
April 28 – 3rd Grade to Butterfly Pavilion
April 28 – Kindergarten to Zoo
April 29 – CMAS Testing ENDS!
April 29 – Last Day to Register for DPS Summer Connections
May 2 – Online 2022-23 Early Bird Registration OPENS
May 6 – NO SCHOOL – First Friday
May 10 – 2nd Grade to Museum of Nature & Science
May 11 – 3rd Grade to Denver Art Museum
May 12 – Session 4 After School Enrichment ENDS
May 17 – 3rd Grade to Museum of Nature & Science
May 18 – Last Day to sign up for Bradley Summer Camp
May 20 – Online 2022-23 Early Bird Registration ENDS
May 26 – Ms. Laura’s Kindergarten to Children’s Museum
May 27 – ECE 4’s to Botanic Gardens
May 30 – NO SCHOOL – Memorial Day
June 1 – Field Day
June 1 – 2 – Lost and Found Tables
June 2 – 5th Grade Continuation
June 3 – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL – Dismissal 12:45
Visit the Bradley website for more information and more important dates: https://bradley.dpsk12.org/
Have a great weekend!